Look for an orion xtr 2500

I know, I'm sorry. I was looking for more info but you're right, it is hard to find. I will try to drum up more once I'm home from work. I remember seeing something about the power supplies in the XTR, I just can't remember where.

The XTR only has 2 rectifier packages, the rest are doing the hard work. 6 packages in the power supply, 6 packages in the output section.

I guess im not educated on amp topology enough.

Looking at the guts of thay z12000 or whatever, id laugh if someone told me it did 4k. Looks like 2k worth of guts. But ive been surprised before.

That xtr and its 55% efficiency didnt do it for me

I guess im not educated on amp topology enough.
Looking at the guts of thay z12000 or whatever, id laugh if someone told me it did 4k. Looks like 2k worth of guts. But ive been surprised before.

That xtr and its 55% efficiency didnt do it for me

Its hard to tell sometimes. Remember when the mmats 3500.1 came out and they looked nearly empty inside? It didn't 3500 at 14.5!

so making 3.2k under 1% THD for its size means its a weak power supply?
I'd like to assume you know how a well regulated power supply works. Ask yourself, why would an amp that makes so much power dynamically have a poor power supply? I'm not going to do all the work for you...if you read about the topology you'll know instantly why amps like this one, audiopipe, the Rockville, and every other cheap amp have such a large amount of headroom dynamically. Hint, it has nothing to do with the rail voltage ~hence poor efficiency as well.

The xtr just didn't do it for me. That power supply looks horribly weak (confirmed by the numbers it put up too) and I wouldn't put my $ towards that.
They're actually pretty potent, they're just not over-built. Just in case we are talking about a different amp? Make sure to watch this in its entirety, pausing to view the results sheet with numbers all the way out to the right for the .8ohm load. -->

The 2500.1 makes impressive power in real-world burst situations that you would want for any good, dynamic music. Well over 6700 watts. Sustained abuse at 1ohm with anything less than the best electrical would probably not be a good idea, but that can be said for lots of equipment making the same power but is much larger and costs a lot more than this XTR.

The efficiency things always gives me a chuckle when you guys are talking about it. You only appreciate efficiency if you are operating well under the full potential of the amplifier's ability at all times. If you ever get anywhere near full output, then the amp is going to to what it does by pulling gobs of current. You can't get around this.

I'd like to assume you know how a well regulated power supply works. Ask yourself, why would an amp that makes so much power dynamically have a poor power supply? I'm not going to do all the work for you...if you read about the topology you'll know instantly why amps like this one, audiopipe, the Rockville, and every other cheap amp have such a large amount of headroom dynamically. Hint, it has nothing to do with the rail voltage ~hence poor efficiency as well.
Nevermind my last post to you, I see that you already understand based on your last post. I think we can agree it comes down to proper application. This is not a good candidate for abuse, with or without good electrical. But would be a good choice for certain people who understand the limitations imposed by the build, size and cost.

Thing sounds great, though. Lots of control over the driver, good impact, nice tonal characteristics. And you can even defeat the subsonic filter. This is a big plus for my listening preferences.

you say poor efficiency yet i dont see that at all from actual real world use from people who actually own the xtr series. You can Just set the gain slightly lower (200 watts less) and viola no more 55% efficiency, you are well back up to the high 60s. cscstang with his 2200 on a stock alt barely any drop on his mustang.

As for your rockville audiopipe statement, none of those amps make certified 1 ohm power. This orion made 700 watts on top of rated. Not even close to the same league for any sort of comparison. Who even looks at dynamic numbers anyways, useless garbage number. Not to mention making more certified power at 2 ohm than most korean 3.5k amps clamped. To be honest, none of the korean 2k amps can hang with this amp at all.

you can talk topology all you want but results and test numbers are all there, no other korean 2k dyno'd even close to orion's certified numbers and they cost way more.

you say poor efficiency yet i dont see that at all from actual real world use from people who actually own the xtr series. You can Just set the gain slightly lower (200 watts less) and viola no more 55% efficiency, you are well back up to the high 60s. cscstang with his 2200 on a stock alt barely any drop on his mustang.
As for your rockville audiopipe statement, none of those amps make certified 1 ohm power. This orion made 700 watts on top of rated. Not even close to the same league for any sort of comparison. Who even looks at dynamic numbers anyways, useless garbage number. Not to mention making more certified power at 2 ohm than most korean 3.5k amps clamped. To be honest, none of the korean 2k amps can hang with this amp at all.

you can talk topology all you want but results and test numbers are all there, no other korean 2k dyno'd even close to orion's certified numbers and they cost way more.
So it made the numbers they claim, that's great. My focus for you here is about how it makes power dynamically, I don't care (as you don't) about the numbers per se...but the reason behind why it makes those numbers. You're missing the bigger picture here. Theirs a reason those Korean amp's aren't making a ton of power dynamically or a ton over rated, the power supply is has much better regulation.

Nevermind my last post to you, I see that you already understand based on your last post. I think we can agree it comes down to proper application. This is not a good candidate for abuse, with or without good electrical. But would be a good choice for certain people who understand the limitations imposed by the build, size and cost.
Yes, under normal circumstances with proper electrical I think it's a solid amp. I can agree that if the user knows what they are doing and doesn't abuse it, it will be fine. But for the vast majority of people (myself included) I like having the added comfort of knowing my amp is overbuilt and will last me.

Now you guys have me wanting to pick one of these up to compare side by side with my other amps though.

And Jeff has a point in it making certified power and the efficiency just by backing off a hair more from clipping. I didn't pay enough attention to the video I suppose.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.